Sunday, September 16, 2007

Keepin' it Rural

So I realized something last weekend… Tegucigalpa is not the reason I love Honduras. I mean, some things about it are nice, like running water, electricity (except of course right now while i’m writing this), grocery stores, pizza hut, and paved roads. But this city is not the place I fell in love with. It was the rural towns, where everyone knows everyone else and there is no fear in walking down the street at night with nothing to light the way but the lights that God put in the heavens. It was El Naranjo, El Diptamo, Ochoa, and Arriba. It was the faces of kids who walk around selling donuts and oranges for 1-2 lempiras just so their family can survive. It was the taste of a charamusca on a hot dry day, and the hope for some shade and a nice breeze. It was being in a third-world country and really feeling like it. This city is just not Honduras to me. There is so much more – so much better in my opinion.

Last weekend Megan, Allie, Betsy and I took a little trip to Gracias, Lempira. We got to drive through the rural of the rural. My heart felt so at home. I wished I could be out there all the time. And it was even more beautiful than I remembered, because I’ve always come in the dry season, and this time everything was so green. I loved it. But of course we had to come back to the big city… to the smog and the noise and the people – lots of people, everywhere. I’m still trying to get used to it.

No comments: